My first week and a half as a mom!

The last week and a half have come and gone with the blink of an eye. I can't believe it!

Especially since I spend most of my day 1) feeding Greta, 2) sleeping when she sleeps (key!), 3) pumping, 4) spending time with the numerous visitors, 5) burping Greta and changing diapers 6) and just staring at her beautiful face :) Where does the time go?

Oh... and I've started walking for my "workouts"!

Just cuz she's cute :)
First, Baby news! Greta is a pretty easy baby. We are so lucky! Most nights she will sleep 3-4 hours in a stretch and then start "talking" to let us know she wants to be fed. She doesn't cry very often, which I know will change all too soon :). There have been a couple of nights where feeding has been as frequent as every 1-1.5 hours, which has been tougher, but I consider us VERY lucky to have such an easy baby!

Our first walk!
She went to her first doctor's appointment the Tuesday after she was born (at 6 days old) and weighed in at 5 pounds, 13 ounces -- 1 ounce above her birth weight. They usually don't expect babies to be at their birth weight until 2 weeks old, so she's well ahead of schedule! Go, Greta!!

Before our first doc appointment!
Breastfeeding has been going great. I expected the worst based on the blogs and website information I read. Greta latches well, feeds great, and it's only hurt a few times - until the nurses at the hospital watched me feed several times and gave great advice. Since then, smooth sailing!

I've already started pumping. There are conflicting opinions on this: 1) wait until 4 weeks to pump so your body will produce to your baby's needs and not any more than needed or 2) pump earlier than that in case anything happens to your milk supply.

I've opted for #2. I don't expect anything to happen, but there's a definite chance that I won't be able to produce as well if I'm training harder so would rather have a back-up supply just in case. If I don't need it, great, I'm hopeful I could find a new mom that could use the supply!

Before our first longer walk!
I've had a ton of help the last week. Both Grandma's came to help at home while I recovered from surgery and adjusted to motherhood. The highlights were:

Making sweet potato baby food with Nate's mom. I hope to make as much of Greta's baby food as possible, and it was nice to see how easy it could be!
Now I'm holding Greta close in a K'Tan wrap while Nate creates order in Greta's closet. Although we sort of had it organized it before she was born, we quickly realized sizes between brands are NOT nearly the same -- plus the new "girly" stuff we've been gifted had just been added to drawers haphazardly.

YAY to organization!

Good thing both Nathan and I are a little OCD when it comes to organization! It'll make dressing her a lot easier.

Plus, what's more fun than dressing a newborn girl in fun clothes?!? :)

Second: Workout update!

I've been very careful to follow doctor's orders. I've started with short walks in the hospital, then increased my time/distance every day once I felt like it was safe to do so. It has felt great. It helps that the fall weather in MN has been awesome!

Mon 10/20 (Greta is 5 days old): 10 minutes up and down our street

Tues 10/21: off

Wed 10/22: 31 minutes to the park (2 loops) and back, 1.5 miles. Mesa loved this walk since Nate brought her favorite fetch toy and just threw it continuously while at the park. 

YAY, family time!

Thur 10/23: 45 minutes, 2 miles. With the MIL.

Fri 10/24: 53 minutes, 2.5 miles with the whole "family" again. I look forward to our walks!

Sat 10/25: 67 minutes, 3 miles. Nate and I drove to downtown to show Greta to Tom at Fit to Be Tri'd and then walk from there. It was a nice change of scenery - we walked a little in the arb (off-roading it!), through the Carleton campus, and through downtown Northfield. 

I *may* have jogged a couple of steps the last .25 miles. :) It felt great, even though it wasn't much faster than my walking pace. Note to self: I need to purchase a couple of larger bras to train in. 

From the first day we were out, I've been super motivated to get out everyday. I welcome that change, as the week before I delivered I told Nate and Craig that I didn't know what my mental state would be after baby. Running 6 minute miles, back to back for 26.2, seemed impossible (still does), and honestly, I just wasn't motivated to push as hard as I had before.

Now that Greta is here, I've found a renewed focus and dedication. I want to show her that mom can do it. I want to bring her to the start line at the '16 Trials. For '12, I wanted to prove to myself and those around me that I was a better runner than what I had shown in college. Now, I want to prove that to Greta :).

I love this picture. I'm burping her after feeding, and she is totally content :). Plus, I'm starting to look like myself after losing the crazy water-weight that the hospital pumped me full of!
I'll go in on Wednesday next week to get my incision checked and hopefully be cleared to do a little ellipticaling and potentially walk/running. I am so hopeful!! 

More snuggles. I am in love!!
Until next time, Run HAPPY!

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!


  1. Homemade baby food is so easy and so rewarding! I loved knowing exactly what my girls were eating! Tip for running -- always pump RIGHT before you go out!

    1. It's easier than I thought as well! So glad we've made a lot from our CSA veggies!

  2. How long did it take until your incision wasn't sore anymore? My feet are SO swollen from all of the fluids. I need to get them back down. I can't believe how our situations become even more and more alike. Maybe a phone call is in order this week. :)

    1. I think I was walking for 10+ minutes about 5 days later, and then I know I stopped pain meds at 6-7 days after C-section.

      Hoping you heal quickly as well!