A little achy

This is sad. I've done 40 miles in the last 4 days, and my body is pretty achy! My quads are tight, i'm feeling a little twinge in my back, and the ball of my foot hurts a little.

The sad part is that I feel like that after averaging just 10 miles a day. JUST 10 miles a day, some of you are saying? That should be something I handle well, so that's the sad part. I guess I'm just getting used to the mileage. Even though I put in 3-4 70 mile weeks during the winter, I never pushed to the point where I was sore, achy, etc -- and ran through it. Plus, I've added in a few more "hard" miles now.

Gives me a good excuse to ask for a massage from my husband!

And, on another topic: Even though I like being coached by my husband, it's really hard to hear him say I need to change things. I told him I needed him to work on me (he knows how to crack my back/joints properly), he said that I probably need to start lifting more -- which will help with my back/hips (they tend to get out of place easily). I actually like lifting, but I have a hard time making time for it. I told him that and he said, well... you did find time for a 12 miler, right? Yeah, yeah. Guess that's right. If I can find time for a 1 1/2 hour run, I can find 10 minutes to lift and stretch.

He goes on further to say that this cycle I should focus on the little things more often. That to get to that next level I'm going to need to watch all of these. He's right, even though I don't want to hear that. I've gotten faster over the last year by fine-tuning my training plan to best suit me, but there's only so far I can go based on just doing workouts alone. Yes, I'll probably get a little faster with another good cycle under me -- but to get MUCH faster, I'm going to have to schedule in time for lifting, stretching, and take time to watch what I'm eating.

Okay, Okay. I'm heading out for a 12 miler now (yeah 1/2 days on Fridays!), and I intend to lift a little and stretch either afterwards or later tonight when Nate is home. I'm writing this here so you all can hold me accountable :).

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment