Rebuilding "marathon" legs

I have a LOT of work to do! Yesterday was the first day I had run in... well, a long time. I did a whole 4 miles on the treadmill yesterday. I wanted to start out conservatively -- there's nothing worse than getting healthy and then taking a step back.

Today I woke up and my legs were a little sore. Wow. :) It's amazing how fast you lose your strength! To think... just 3-4 months ago I was doing about 13 miles a day, without any hint of soreness.

Today I did two runs... the first, just 3 miles. I started out on my run mid-day (yeah for short Fridays at work). I had actually intended to do 7, but Nate called and said he'd be home in an hour. Wow! A chance to run with him in the daylight! So, I told him I'd head back home and we'd go out for a run together later (he wanted to go 6 miles). I figured a double of 3 and 6 was better than just one run of 7. The second run was a lot of fun. We went a lot faster than I would have if I would have run alone, so that was good.

Tonight my legs are sore :). Odd feeling, actually... I usually don't let myself take enough time off of running to ever get "sore". I think this break had been a good thing... it gave me time to ski and also to re-motivate me to run/race fast.

So, Game on! Let's see what I can do in the next month :)

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment