52 miles -- in 3 days!!

This week is a lot, even by my standards. In the last 24 hours, I've run 30 miles. I took Monday off, but counting Sunday's 22 puts me at 52 in the last 3 training days. My body is responding well (very few aches/pains and almost no soreness, which I'm surprised at), but I do find myself a little more tired generally. I can't imagine keeping this mileage up for very long -- it consumes your life! All I feel like I do is 1) sleep 2) work (2 jobs) and 3) run. It's short term (just two more weeks until I taper!), and I'm really looking forward to having more time for the little things -- errands, the house, etc. I cannot even imagine trying to juggle this with kids. Major props to all the women/men out there who do!!!!

So, what have those 52 miles been? Sunday was my long run (22) which I finished with 3 miles at marathon pace. Tuesday AM was a 5 mile easy run, averaging 8:05 or so. Tuesday PM was 4x1200m VO2 Max workout, and I was surprised how good my legs felt!! Until now, they've felt terrible on my speed days (probably just adjusting to the mileage). Last week I did them in about 4:22. This week I was at 4:13, 4:05, 4:13, 4:06. I felt much stronger and smoother. What a fun feeling! Wednesday was a medium-long run (15 miles, 7:40 pace) which went pretty smooth. I've been having a few stomach issues (feeling very nauseous), and this run was no exception. I really need to do something (change the times I eat? What I eat?), because it makes an otherwise fun easy distance day into a miserable run. Suggestions, anyone?


Me at the end of my 15 miler. Great day!! Gotta love spring :)

Best part about these three days is how I feel -- strong and confident. I really feel like the changes I've made to my training plan are paying off!! Now, I just need to survive the rest of this week and next :). Injuries, stay away.

P.S. I bought Nike Lunar Racers the other day at Run N Fun -- love them!!!!! I did my 1200s in them to test them out, and am hoping to race the Earth Day 20 mile race in them as a test before the marathon.
P.P.S. I was depressed today when I realized that my new training shoes (bought 1.5 weeks ago) already had over 100 miles on them. That means in about 2.5-3 weeks I'll need a new pair :(.

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment