PROGRESS

Things here are CRAZY busy, but in the best of ways! In running-related news, I'm seeing progress in my running/paces and hip rehab, so that's good. 


After a 50 min HR progression elliptical workout at the YMCA.
I wish I had taken more time to capture workouts in blog posts since I know the post-partum journey back to competing is filled with a lot of ups and downs. But eh, can't go back. Instead, here are a few 1k repeat workouts that show progress.Guess I didn't realize how many times I've done 1ks in the past several months!

---

Workout 1: Mid-Jan (3 months post-partum): 5x1k, averaged 3:56.4. And then threw up on the cool down. That workout hurt, not in the best of ways. Blog recap here.

Workout 2: Late-Feb (4.5 months post-partum): 5x1k, averaged 3:54.2. With Jeff, on the roads vs. track. 

4 weeks after previous workout, 2.2 second improvement.

Workout 3: Mid-March (5 months post-partum): 5x1k with 400m recovery, averaged 3:49.8. Blog post recap here - done in the evening with Nate and Jeff, running from Children's Hospital. 

3 weeks after previous workout, 4.4 second improvement.

Workout 2: June 6th (7.5 months post-partum): 5x1000m - averaged 3:47

Email to Jerry:

5x1000: 3:47, 46, 47, 47, 48. R leg held together okay, I had trouble controlling it after 800m so really slowed during the last 200. I can't wait until I have two good legs/hips to carry me!

I felt a little more spring in my step for these than I have in any workout since Anna. Maybe because I am done nursing?!?? I am hopeful, it was a fun feeling!

~11 weeks after previous workout, 2.8 second improvement.
(Not much given that amount of time, which is interesting. I attribute that to struggling to control my hip/leg during each repeat - I wasn't able to run fast enough to fully make my lungs burn)

Workout 3: June 20th (8 months post-partum): 8x1000m - averaged 3:44!!

Email to Jerry: 

Remember last time I did 1ks and I was excited about 3:47 for 5 of them?

WELL:

3:38 (I can't remember what I used to do these in, and probably shouldn't look, but I'm thinking even being able to move fast enough for one rep in 3:38 is a good step in the right direction)
3:45
3:44
3:43
3:43
3:45
3:45
3:48

= Average of ~3:44!!!!!

Update on the leg/hip too: it was better today than on the 5 repeats I did two weeks ago. That's interesting - and encouraging - because Monday's first run was [really] uncomfortable [and caused a more significant limp when I started up]. enough that I moved the second run to the elliptical. Who knows. At least I can still put in the volume & work hard, either on foot or on a machine? It would be nice to be seeing more continual and steady progress, though...

But yeah, I'm pumped! I have to say, though, I thought the entire time: Jerry is crazy! 8 of these?!? :) :)

---

Hip-hip-hurrah for improvements! I'm racing a 5k this weekend so am excited to see what I can do!

Just because it's fun to see everyone's guesses, what are your thoughts on a finish time?

And -- Nate will be racing the 5k as well -- who do you predict will win?!?

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

10 comments:

  1. What an amazing workout! You killed it girl! Do you have a time goal? I'm going with .... 19:06! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No time goal. My 5ks so far have been 19:50ish. But with this workout maybe something low 19s is possible? That would be fun!

      Delete
    2. I think so!!!! We do 1000s a lot in cc and in track so I'm honestly just estimating based off what I know for your 1000s- you probably will crush it and run 17, let's be honest. You are such a stud!!!! Your cc kiddos are going to be very, very lucky to have you as a coach.

      Delete
  2. Victoria PhillippiJune 23, 2017 at 11:19 AM

    18:15?! Lol idk��‍♀️��‍♀️ your �� puppy will be sad to sit this one out ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! It will be fun to see if I can get back into the 18s at some point...

      Delete
  3. Good luck Nichole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 19:28. I think you'll do well!!! When you do 1000s, what is your recovery between?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on where I'm at in my training. Sometimes 400m (walk/jog), sometimes timed (so a little less).

      Delete
    2. Thanks! And do you do them on the track or just measure out during the road run? I've decided my new goal....consistently run 1:45 or less half marathons. Aiming for 46 min 10k and then 40 min 10k. So obviously speed work is in my future...

      Delete