Flexibility

If I didn't want this, it would be so (too) easy to take a LOT of days off.

My training week starts on Monday. I knew this week had:

3 days x 12 mile doubles
18 mile long run
5x1000m repeats
10 miles with 10x100m surges/gear change practice
1 rest day

You can see where this is going.

Monday was a double of 12 miles, so over my lunch hour I ran my first easy run. Craig led Mike and I through some muddy trails in the Carleton arb. Not going to lie, I don't know if I'm a trail runner. Slipping through muddy trails and trying not to fall on the icy stretches aren't exactly fun for me. I kept thinking: when will the footing be clear? I just want to *run*! Pretty sure trail runners are better at enjoying the moment, the terrain and element changes...

Am I right about that assumption?

Anyway, I had emailed Jerry earlier in the day about how to move the week around since we are supposed to have 25+ MPH winds (gusting to 40+) on Tuesday, which isn't conducive to fast 1000s like was originally written for Tuesday. He suggested knocking out my 18 miler Tuesday instead. During the trail run I made plans to meet Craig over his lunch hour for a few of those miles and made a mental note to text Sedge to see if he was up for a couple others, etc. Company is nice for those long ones, especially since they seem REALLY long to me right now!

Jerry suggested the 100s on Thursday, 1000s on Sunday. I knew I was meeting a high school track/XC client on Sunday, so also made a mental note to see if he would be willing to do those 1000s with me.

Yay, planning!

...

Fast forward to the end of the work day Monday.

At 5:00 I called Nathan to ask him if he would like to do my second run with me. I hang up and notice I have a voicemail... from the Montessori school.

NOOO. That's never a good thing.

Voicemail says: Greta had 3 loose diapers while at school so needs to go home & can't come back until Wednesday.

Ug.

They're trying to teach me flexibility in life... that's a good thing, right?
I have reports and analysis due before a meeting Tuesday evening... and that 18 miler I was planning on getting done sometime during the day while both girls were at school.

So much for those plans! I don't think I can push the stroller in winds like that for 18 miles. Plus, Greta does well in the stroller, but that is a LONG time to ride, even if I plan it around her nap time.

I just emailed Jerry to let him know that plans have changed and that the best workout to try to do with Greta tomorrow is probably the 100s - I could push the stroller to the track, let Greta out, and then push back.

As for work and the remaining double, I'll work late tonight to get everything I need to get done at work finished - then likely hop on the treadmill to finish today's workout. *Sigh*

Taking multiple days off would probably be a whole lot easier than all of this juggling, right? But I've been told that lots of rest days don't exactly help make you a sub-3 hour marathoner ;).

On the plus side, I think it will be fun to run around a track with Greta tomorrow. Maybe we'll even find a new playground to stop at!

Your turn:

Tell me about the last time you struggled to fit in a workout! Or have plans change last minute? Or spent a bit of time coordinating training partners? I'll use these as motivation to get out with the stroller tomorrow!

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

4 comments:

  1. On Sunday, we had planned to go on a flat, 2 mile hike. We passed the exit and had to look at a map (lol no service) and find the next hike. I'm not good with hiking elevation, I HATE it. This trail was VERY hard but I went slow. Maybe a mile, maybe less?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've always been better than me about embracing the unexpected/changes in plans!

      Delete
  2. Lol...I feel like this is my life most weeks. Sometimes I can hop on the mill at 10pm or before dawn, and sometimes sleep wins. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To add to the craziness of this week, Anna was admitted to Children's Tuesday night. HA! When it rains, it pours. If not for Jerry's plan, I would have taken this entire week off! Instead, I've done well considering the circumstances!

      Craziness.

      I applaud using the treadmill! It is very efficient, though - just pull on a pair of shorts & go!

      Delete