Training Update - 66 miles/week and an upcoming 5k!

Training has been going great! It helps that we have had a much-warmer-than-normal February. It has been sunny 35-45 degrees, and the snow has almost disappeared!

I've been steadily increasing my mileage and intensity and last week hit 66 miles on 6 days. Jerry said that I can look forward to 100 mile weeks in April already. That's exciting but also perplexing, as it seems like I'm running an awful lot already to just hit mid-60s! Where would I add another THIRTY FIVE miles in my week? 

I know it will come gradually and I'll just add here and there, and voila- one day I'll be thinking: JUST 66 miles/week? Wow, that was nothing!

Wa-hoo! You can follow me on Strava - search for me here.

I had a great 1000m workout with Jeff. We both were pretty quiet before the workout. Our conversation was more clipped and awkward than normal. I could tell that I was just trying to process another 1k workout (it's hard to forget that awful puking/body totally wrecked feeling I had after the last 1k effort). Before we started I silently told myself that we would do the warm-up and that I could probably convince Jeff just to run easy instead of the repeats. 

But, once we did the warm-up, we both put our heads down and pushed for everything we had!

3:54
3:51
4:00 (oops)
3:53
3:53

I averaged 3 seconds faster per repeat than 3 weeks ago. Yay! Progress! I still have a long way to go, but know that I can only improve slowly - one day at a time.

This week will be another mid-60 week. Workouts have been:

Monday: Double of 12, lifting class with Nate and the YMCA. I am going to try to make lifting on Monday evenings a priority. If my mileage is going to steadily increase, I need to be strong enough to handle it! Plus, honestly, I just love feeling strong! I really do like lifting, it's just so easy for me to skip it!


How I usually spend my evenings - instead of doing strength work :)
Tuesday: 10 miles with 10x100m. I did this with Craig, and for the first time in MY ENTIRE LIFE, I was ahead of him on a lot of these. He is still in full-on ski mode so turnover is a little lacking. It made me feel good about myself - so thank you, Craig! :)

Wednesday: off. Home with Anna after she threw up late in the day Tuesday at daycare. 

Thursday: 8 miles easy, strides afterwards. A slight taper because... I'll be racing a 5k as an open athlete at the U of MN's home meet on Saturday! YIKES!

Friday: 5-6 miles easy, strides afterwards.

Saturday: 5k at the U of MN! OMG. What was I thinking? :)

I entered a seed time of 20:00, as I have absolutely no idea where I'm at. Jerry said my 1ks added up to 19:30. I looked back at the 2015 Halloween 5k I did 3.5 months after starting running during inpatient treatment at Beauterre. I figure that is about similar to where I'm at now... I ran a 20:47 for that 5k and was stoked. I think if I could be close to 20 minutes on Saturday I would be ecstatic! 

I tried on my race singlet and it... fits. Sort of. I don't look like a sausage in it, so that's good. Now, which box did we stash my racing flats in?

I'm only partly freaking out. It will be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to knowing where I'm at fitness-wise. Sara C, one of my athletes, is racing with me, and my Gustie women will be there at the meet as well!

Your turn: Any guesses on a finish time? Closest guess to actual time (either over or under) wins! No prize on the line, other than the pride of guessing well :)

What would a blog post be without Anna pictures? She is super smiley now, it is so fun!

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

1 comment: