Training Lately

I have been plugging away with my training! I am *just* starting to feel more like myself again, but with that comes the realization of how much work I have to do to get after my sub-3 goal at TCM!

Mileage has been right around 50/week. This week is 52 with 2 days off, so I'm starting to get up there!

After my first 12 miler. Sara and Heather came to meet us to run from the hospital. I was SO SORE after this run! Sort of that "I just ran a marathon and my legs just ache for a day" feel.
I've only done 3 hard workouts since starting back up after 4 weeks off post-C-section. They have all been - well - an adventure :)

Workout #1: My first workout back! Jeff met me at Children's and we trudged through a couple of inches of loose snow and slush (and hopped over the start of sidewalks where the plows had piled up the snow/slush). The workout was 8 miles total with 2 "hard". Knowing that this was my first workout and that footing was so poor, I had no pace expectations. The first mile we clocked 6:50. I thought to myself: oh, wow... I'm going to be able to hold this for a marathon next October? The second mile was in 7:33.

Yep, you read that right. 7:33. Two miles in 14:23. Jeff just raised his eyebrows when he looked down at his watch to see our finish time and congratulated me on burying myself. I had! It was so fun to run hard, gasp for air, and feel like I accomplished something. The pace was... pretty darn laughable for the effort I put into it... but I'll work on that :).

Jeff forgot pants so wore a pair of mine. The flared leg accentuated his girly hips.
Workout #2: 3 miles total, 1 hard, 1 moderate, 1 hard. Jerry had written in 6:20/7:20/6:20 as rough pace guides. I knew that probably wasn't possible but made it my mission to try to go as hard as I could. I logged 6:50s for the hard miles and 7:45 for the moderate mile.

As the end of the last hard mile, one of my training partners pulled beside me to pass me. I willed myself to be able to change gears, but there was nothing. I couldn't drive my knees any higher, nor get any more "air time" from my push-off. I made a mental note to take the strides in my plan a little more seriously (think about activation, power, and pace changes! Not just "get them done"). I also made another note to work on hip flexor strength when I'm doing strength work.

Yep, lots to work on!

Workout #3: I don't even know where to start with this one! The workout was 5x1000m with 400m recovery. I asked Craig to join me and we ran over to Olaf's indoor track since the roads weren't conducive to speed work. I didn't look up my previous repeat times, since I'm purposefully running without any expectations or pressure right now. I did remember doing 1ks with one of my athletes this summer, while pregnant, in just over 4:00.

The first one starts off great. I feel strong! I finished in 3:45 (6:00/mile pace). Wahoo! I was happy with that. I didn't recover quickly between repeats like I normally do, and paid for it on the second repeat. I held 3:45-50 pace until ~600 meters to go. Then I started to sound like I was having an asthma attack and started to look like I was running in place. That was painful. 4:00 finish time.

The next three were a death march! 4:00, 3:57, 4:00. I felt dizzy and sick to my stomach. I immediately ran to the bathroom afterwards. We eventually jiggy-jogged back to our respective work places, and as soon as Craig peeled away, I decided to take a walk break. I coughed a good old hard-indoor-workout-track-cough and then all of a sudden leaned over --

and threw up.

The older gentleman walking towards me looked at me strangely. He just said, "Nice day, eh?". I nodded.

I felt sick to my stomach the rest of the day. What a painful way to do a workout! I know I want to take each of these workouts hard, but...

Other random training pictures, just for fun:

Running out some of my angst and stress while in the hospital :(.

Beautiful 10 miler. It was fun to run as the storm rolled in.

This was the first run where I realized my "normal" pace is now closer to 8's. Nice!

a
It's fun to run to the new house to check out progress.
So... yeah! Lots of adventures, and a lot of work to be done! Jerry is working on my plan for the next couple of weeks right now and I can't wait to see what is in store for me!! He has hinted of 60+ mile weeks, yay!

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment