Stuff and Such: New Training Partner, 4x800m

This week will be about 60 miles. Hard to believe it's already Wednesday; here is a mid-week recap.

Sunday: 10.5 miles easy (with Greta)

6 miles easy with Brian, then 4 alone. Nothing very exciting.

I've decided to make the park a destination after any run that I do with her.  It's only 1/3 of a mile away from our house. Hopefully that tradition will make "going for a run" that much more exciting for her!
We played peek-a-boo via the holes in the tunnel. She laughed HYSTERICALLY at me! It was so much fun!!
Looks like all of my light colored gloves will be turning a nice shade of gray now (stroller gunk)
Monday: 10 miles easy

I did NOT want to start this run. 10 miles seemed SO FAR, it was snowing on and off all day, and I just wanted to go home and clean and sew instead. 

I went back and forth: Brain #1: I have a rest day this week and could totally take it today! Brain #2: It's better to get a run in today, you don't know what the rest of the week will look like... just get your bag & change.

You've been there before.

I kept finding another task at work to busy myself with, until it was 3:30, my drop dead time.

I'm proud to say that I got myself out the door! It started snowing harder and harder throughout the run: we were supposed to get 6-7 inches. It was really pretty!

Beautiful winter evening run
And, interestingly enough, I managed to perfectly time my run/route to run into Daniel Bretscher. He just moved to Northfield and is a professional triathlete. He not only won Ironman Wisconsin, but set a course record. His marathon at the end of the Ironman was in 2:50. WOW! He trains during the day, so we are hoping to hook up for training runs often. 

Maybe there was a reason for all of that stalling :).

Score! I am so lucky to have so many speedy people in/around Northfield that I can train with - and that are willing to help pace me! Seriously, how am I this lucky?

Tuesday: 10 miles with 4x800m
Splits: 2:47, 2:49, 2:53, 2:53

We didn't get all of the sleet/ice/snow they called for, so Jeff, Daniel and I decided to run our workouts outside. Daniel helped push me the last 800, which I was so thankful for. I was toast!

Crazy workout partners - crazy enough to meet me over the lunch hour on a weekday to help me through my 4x8s.
L to R: Jeff, Daniel, me 
I'm not sure what my times would have been on a track. The first two reps were a net downhill, and I'm not sure about the last two. Oh well! The effort was there, and that's all that matters.

For comparison, two weeks ago I did 6x800s in 3:00-3:01 on a track.

Wednesday: OFF! 

I fought this a little, like I did last week. My addict brain at work, sigh. 

It had been 9 days since I had taken a day off, though, so I knew I needed it. My right kneecap (underneath) is also a little sore - do I need new shoes? Or am I just running a little tired right now? 

Whatever the case, after I accepted the day off, I relished in it! I had lunch with my co-workers and put in a long day at work (which means I have fewer hours to put in later this week!). I picked up Greta and brought her back to Bethel to enjoy the Bistro evening meal, a $3 prepared-for-you dinner, complete with salad and dessert. It's awesome! Then Greta hung out in the nursery, open on Wednesday evenings, while I put in a couple more hours at work.

Lots of work, but that just means I have a shorter end of the week- something to look forward to!

Fun in the nursery. Apparently she found the trampoline and tried to learn to bounce.
Only Greta! What a nut!
When she realized it was me! How precious! She then took about 8 steps toward me.
Uh-oh... this whole walking thing might be happening soon...
I received a Forever Flex Stability Ball to test. It's made in different sizes - so I was able to order a smaller sized one. Yeah! Nathan has a larger one. I had no idea these came in sizes!

So far I'm impressed. It feels like it's good quality, strong and durable. Do you have a stability ball at home? If not, it would make a great gift!



Later this week I have a 2x2 mile workout to look forward to. Yikes! I should send out a few notes to recruit workout partners... anyone interested? :)

Your turn:

When is the last time you did NOT want to start a run/workout? How did you convince yourself to start? Or did you allow yourself to take a day off?

Ever "run" into a new training partner?

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

11 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian Brandy Kilo WhittlefDecember 2, 2015 at 9:00 PM

    Keep it up! I'm looking forward to track work on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally forgot to tell you- I did my 800s Tuesday instead! Friday will be 10-12 with 2x2 miles at 6:40 pace. You in? :)

      Delete
    2. I'm skiing tomorrow I think, but would probably be up for a run Friday. I figure I better learn how to run again, since it looks like snow may be hard to come by in the next couple weeks :(

      Delete
    3. So sad. Our pretty snow will be but a distant memory very soon.

      Delete
  3. Wow! You're getting fast so quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the repeats were net downhill, remember...

      Delete
  4. When is the last time you did NOT want to start a run/workout? TODAY - Dec 4, 2015

    How did you convince yourself to start? I had yesterday off, knew I couldn't climb today & so a run it was. Also, I know if I keep working at running regularly it will become fun again. :)

    Or did you allow yourself to take a day off? Nope :)

    Ever "run" into a new training partner? Yes, or more often I chase one... :) I often 'run' into someone out on the road & run part of distance with them. Sometimes someone I know, others times someone new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see things are going well!

    ReplyDelete