Training Update - Week 8-9

Instead of Motivation Monday, I'm bringing you an overdue training update!

I'm to the point in my training cycle where I'm staring to see ups and downs - yeah!!

Per my last post, the beginning of last week was rough. See the details here :). After taking a day off after those rough days, things stared to look up!

Workouts were:

8 miles moderate: which I NAILED. For the first time, I was able to keep my HR in the moderate zone and clip along at 7:30 mile pace. I actually felt somewhat runner-ish! AHHHH, in love!!!! :)

10 mile progression: done at my parent's farm, which is in the middle of nowhere in SW Minnesota. 10 degrees, 25 MPH winds. Not exaggerating. I thought about scrapping the workout or moving things around, but thought: what the heck? Let's just do this :). At times I had just ONE eye visible (compliments of my mom's face mask which I could position to expose the least amount of skin possible!) AND and one point also had a scarf tied around my ears because they were starting to hurt. EPIC. Paces were SLOW, but it was an epic workout that I will call upon often!!!!

Yes, the scarf was from the 3rd grade. Yes, it was tied up around my ears for a portion of the run. Fashionista.
Don't know if I could have fit much else underneath that jacket!
13 mile long run: on Friday with a growing "training group" in Northfield. Company is just awesome to help the miles fly by! My quads and hamstrings started to come undone around 10 miles.

9 mile moderate run: Fast forward to this week: I had another GREAT moderate run. 9 miles where I clipped along at 7:15s. I had to stop to stretch out the quads and hamstrings a few times, though, so not my best run. They've been giving me a little more trouble the back half of the week. Oh, how I am reminded that this will be a long journey :)

In other life news:

I went home to help my future sister-in-law (Mary) prep the food for her engagement party. I have never cooked in such bulk before! Wow. We spent the better part of 2 days chopping, mixing, and baking.

Of COURSE, I would slice my finger while chopping peppers. I then had to wear gloves for the rest of our prepping. Is it telling that Mary brought size small gloves, anticipating something like this might happen? Ha! I guess my reputation precedes me.

That's a LOT of Focassia bread!
9 gallons of pasta sauce!
Bummer, dude :(
Grandma = retired nurse. She insisted on helping me bandage it. Luckily I heal pretty quick now that I eat healthier and take Nutrilite's Double X vitamins
On Monday, I was given the opportunity to be the featured speaker for the Anoka-Hennepin School District's staff development day. I love what I do! :) I'd really like to seek out other speaking engagements, so have that on "my list".

On the coaching front, I had one of my athletes DEMOLISH her half marathon PR. Her subsequent emails made me smile; I could tell she was just BEAMING with excitement. I also am welcoming 3 new individuals to the "team". Our little training group is growing, which is so much fun!

Until next time! ~Nichole

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment