Winter Running Recommendations!

An athlete recently asked me what I recommended for winter running. Just in time for Holiday shopping, here were my recommendations!

Winter running can be the best for base building and strength!


Yaktraxs - strap on a pair of worn out shoes and then you're set for winter!!!!! Don't strap to a minamalist shoe or you'll feel the metal traction more than you shoud. I use an old pair of
Brooks Adrenalines - works great! They're a must if you run on snow/ice/crap :) Or any other shoe-studded option? Camille has a great blog on her studded shoes. http://camilleherron.com/2011/12/24/how-to-make-screw-shoes/

A buff - so nice to be able to pull up and down when you're with the wind/against it... or in any winter conditions!

Dermatone for when it's really cold & you want to protect your skin (vaseline might do the same?? Or Warm Skin?)

I am in LOVE with my Brooks Storm jacket, but I think they've discontinued it. Dang. I ordered another jacket mid-year but it fit really big (dang companies trying to fit the "average" runner!)... and I am not that small :(

Obviously, shoes are GREAT! Consider buying a gift certificate through a local shop or the brands' site directly!

What about REFLECTIVE GEAR?!? I am a HUGE fan of anything reflective - vests, jackets, gloves, hats, you name it! Seriously, this is probably the best gift your runner hasn't thought of!!!!
Women's Nightlife products:
http://www.brooksrunning.com/womens-nightlife/womens-apparel-nightlife,default,sc.html
Men's products:
http://www.brooksrunning.com/reflective-gear/mens-apparel-nightlife,default,sc.html

A GOOD pair of gloves! I'm spoiled since I have really warm hands when I run, but if you don't... let me know! I'll reach out to cold-fingered friends!!!

SmartWool or other wool socks!

Insulated tights - in love with Brooks' Utopia Thermal Tight. (Women's link here: http://www.brooksrunning.com/reflective-gear/mens-apparel-nightlife,default,sc.html) I also have used the CW-X lined tight - just harder to get on because there isn't a zip :)

Race Warm-Up Pants: I love Brooks' Spartan Pants! Could be because they come in petite, but ya' can forgive me for loving them! They also come in tall!!
http://www.brooksrunning.com/Spartan-Pant-II---Petite/220298001.020,default,pd.html?start=1&q=pants%20petite

Do you have a HR monitor to go with your Garmin/GPS monitor? If not, put that on your Xmas list!!

I'm in love with my SmartWool beanies. They're a little larger and seem to be warmer post-workout when I'm stretching/doing my sit-ups/push-ups :)

Great fitting sweatpants are also awesome. I am guilty of wearing these OFTEN - but am not ashamed! They fit and are awesome! :)
(Again, linking to the petite version... but they also have regular and tall version as well!)

Arm Warmers are great if you don't have a pair. For racing long distances though (10k +), though, I'm hesitant to strap on a good pair in case I need to strip down. So maybe put some big white socks on the Xmas list? :)

Do you have a Road I.D.?

The Brooks D'Lite shorts are GREAT - they look awful coming out of the wash (wrinkles!!), but don't chafe at all. Wonderful :)

Brooks' bras are great - I own a LOT of their Versitile and their Infiniti bra (helpful for during or post-runs if you happen to nip-out often... ) (Sorry men! But the women in your life will appreciate the Infiniti!)

For just wearing around: the Brooks vest is just AWESOME! I'm actually wearing it tonight :) http://www.brooksrunning.com/Adapt-Vest/220613402.020,default,pd.html?start=9&cgid=womens-apparel-outerwear

Headlamp! Petzel is a great brand, but really any will do. There are also other handheld/waist-light options available (which I intend to do a review on in the near future!).

Supplements: Generation UCAN is just awesome. Read my blog posts here. They're offering a great Cyber Week sale if you're interested in trying it!

Socks: The best socks I've found so far have been Feetures (sorry, Brooks!). I love their Meprorino offerings as well as their Elite products.

If there are other "must haves" for running, comment here!!! :)




Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

4 comments:

  1. Great tips! It doesn't get too cold here in southeast Texas, but hats, gloves and arm warmers have helped get me through some cold runs. Sometimes I make myself some arm warmers out of tights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arm warmers from tights - I hadn't thought of that one!

      Delete
  2. Or you can just cross country ski and embrace all the snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks for the suggestion, Nate :). I thought about it today as it snowed throughout the entire day.

      Delete