Quick Fargo Marathon Update

There will be a long post in the next couple of days... but until then...a few pictures and results :)


Team Nichole showed up in full force, including my parents!  My brother and husband also did the marathon (their first!).

I finished in 2:50 something. Good enough to win the race, but I really would have liked to run faster...but I also know that it was HOT the last 10 miles. I felt GREAT from mile 16-20, and knew that was when I needed to start bringing my mile splits down. I moved from about 6:25 pace to sub 6:20 in those miles, and was super strong and in control. I was planning on then bringing my pace down to 6:10 or faster for the last 10k, but by then the sun was out FULL force.  I am no match for heat.... no matter how much I prepare, how much I've willed myself to accept the pain, physical toll.... I am just more susceptible to the heat.

So instead of speeding up, I think mile 21 was 7:00 or so???  That's a minute slower than I'd hope to be at the end of a marathon when I'm able to close (which I feel like I'd be able to do without the heat! I felt SO  strong until the temp started to rise!). Full recap to come tomorrow or Monday.  Here's a few pictures in the meantime :)
My parents. Best cheer section ever!


The family cheer section. Nate's family was there too, but Nate's dad was still out on the course at this point.


Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! I figured you probably wanted to run a little faster, but that's awesome you felt so good between miles 16 and 20. The girl who placed second was a teammate of my sister at Concordia College. She was pretty average in college but is super speedy now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the W Nichole! You knew you would suffer in the heat, but you stayed strong and should be very proud. All the work you put into this one will pay off soon!

    ReplyDelete