2:57 and change at CIM...

This is what happens when your legs aren't ready.

Perhaps my worst race in more than 3 years.  I have never hurt so early in a marathon; at 16 miles I went up a slight incline and realized that my legs were already feeling very shredded.  Oh, no....

The last 6 or so miles were a death march.  Not lying.  Quite a few 8 minute miles (where I told myself that i was just doing one of those "survival jog" cool downs when you really hurt after a long/hard workout), a lot in the 7's.  You rack up a lot of time when you're running that slowly!

It wasn't because I went out too fast and it wasn't because of conditions (35 mph winds at the start, flooding rains).  I truly believe that my legs just weren't ready because they haven't done anything of substance in the last 7-8 weeks.  I have to go back to my training log (need to fill in the gaps, I've been neglecting this... which is almost my #1 rule!) to see what the average has been over the last 2 months and 3 months.  I think I'll be surprised at how low it is.  I'm certain that the last 7 weeks were something like 70-50-NYC week (50?)-97-70-50-CIM week (25 or so).  That is really low for someone who is a strength and mileage runner.  I also noticed that I was definitely not overall strong either (especially noted in my core), which again, is due to the taper/re-taper thing (and totally my fault). I cut out strength 2 weeks before NYC and never really picked it up again afterwards.  I know better than that - I am someone who absolutely relies on that overall strength/lean build to power me through.

I will write much more tomorrow, but wanted to at least post something in case y'all were wondering :).

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

3 comments:

  1. Bummer. I'm sad for you. I hope you recover well and get back at it for the next race or marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. That's much the same as my race last month, but I don't have the weather and a double taper as an excuse, just poor pacing. I saw your splits and it looked like things got pretty rough out there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I would love to invite you to enter into my first givaway @ www.iheartrunning.com and also to become one of our daily featured runners on Running Bloggers. Interview instructions can be found on www.runningbloggers.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete