Making the most of it!

Since there's no race, I've been trying to make the best of our time here.  Today I don't know if I succeeded in that (as far as getting out and seeing the city) - but mentally, I'm much better than I was yesterday.

First: updates from the race:  They held a conference for the pro athletes at 11 (which was postponed until 12, and then didn't actually start until 12:45) to let us know what was still happening.  Meals are still all a go; if you want to change your flight, expect to pay a lot; logistics like that.  Mary addressed the group as well, talking about how difficult this decision was and how the NYRR aim to make this as good of a stay for us in NY.  They have really done a lot, considering the circumstances.  I have a lot of respect for Mary, David, and the rest of her team.  I really hope someday I'll be able to race for them.

See Nate's legs in the ABC News picture :) 

Second: updates on my plans: I think I'm going to target CIM on December 2nd.  There is still a small part of me that is mentally fried - it was such a long training cycle (a full 4 months), I was so mentally psyched for the race (basically all my prep focused on the streets of NY, the pack of women I wanted to hang with etc), that I know it'll be hard to re-focus that excitement and energy into another race.  My body is a little banged up as well, this darn hamstring is SO tight.  But, there's another part of me that wants to set a new PR.  Wish I knew for sure if a PR was in the cards.  If not, I think I'd take some downtime.  If yes, then I'd charge ahead. 

And because I really think I am faster/more fit than ever before, I think I'll try to create a training plan for CIM.  Philly is another option, but with a big presentation at work that week, I don't know if the timing is the best.  We'll see what Jerry has to say. 

So... anyone know of someone I could stay with in Sacramento? :)  Seriously!!

Third: other updates: I've met some really cool (and very fast!) people out here.  Today I had dinner with Katie Dicamillo (35:01 10ker), Scott Bauhs (27:48 10ker), Andrew Carlson (Team USA MN), and Tim Ritchie.  Tomorrow I've been invited to do a long run with Katie, Kim Smith, and Amy Hastings.  I told Katie I'd try to keep up as long as I could...

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment