Week before Grandma's

Week in review:
1 day off
Total of about 22ish miles (M-Fri)
1 "up tempo" workout Monday (4x1200m)
My typical carb-depletion/carb-loading routine (YUMMMM, oatmeal!)
10 (at least) times I felt myself wishing I was running 90+ miles.  I miss the way you feel when you're doing that much volume!  I miss being able to eat anything!  I miss the structure of it all.  I miss the craziness of it all!  But most of all, I realized that this is one of the few things that I truly enjoy the process as much as the end result.
8 (or so) times that I also thought that it's really nice not to have to run a double at night, do strength, etc
:)  I could get used to this!!

Not much to this week, I guess.  I'm trusting in my taper, trusting in the work that I did in the previous weeks/months, and just waiting until race day.

Early in the week I was scrambling mentally.  What should my goal be?  Originally it was 2:40, but the forecast was looking pretty bad (especially for me, since I am very affected by heat and humidity).  Forecasts were for 62 degrees at the start, and 95-100% humidity.  Anywhere from 70-77 at 10:00 (I'll hopefully be finishing around 10:30).  Yikes.  Without a time goal, what do I mentally prepare myself around?

Not sure what it was - perhaps continuing to listen and internalize Dr. Asp's CD - perhaps a few great reminders from my miracle worker chiropractor Dr. Patterson - who knows - but I woke up Wednesday morning and was just in a good place.  I was calm, confident, and felt ready.  Weird. 

I realized that it didn't matter what the temp/humidity was going to be; I don't have an Olympic Trials standard to hit this year.  Instead, the goal is to RACE.  To see what I have against the other women running.  To give a "full effort" (Dr. Asp's key phrase).  It doesn't matter how many women will be there, what they are capable of - I just have to hang with those that are around me & try to move up throughout the race.

I have a general pacing idea if the weather cooperates for a 2:40, and will decide at the start line and during the race if that pacing plan is doable.  If it's humid or hot, I back off at the start to try to ward off a big crash later on (I have had several bad experiences racing in the heat, and I can crash pretty big...).  Tuesday I was stressing about all of this uncertainty.  Now I'm totally relaxed about all of it.  I like it.

So, tomorrow will be a short shake out run, packet pickup, taking care of bottles (I don't have them mixed, thought I'd wait to see how warm it was supposed to be before I decided what to put in them), massage -- and then just hanging out waiting for Saturday morning.

I'll try to update this, if nothing else just with a quick sentence or two, on Saturday sometime.  Until then, hope for as cool of a day as possible!!

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are mentally ready - best of luck!

    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI!! I forget how I found your blog at this point but I've been following along the past few weeks. You sound very excited!! Best of luck and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete