Planning

I love getting and writing a plan. Jerry sent me the upcoming month’s plan early this week. Ahh, nothing more fun :).

There are 4 short weeks where I’ll focus on my 5k with 2 or 3 races (two for sure, both at GAC). Luckily, I put in a few quality mileage weeks before April began so I’ll be able to keep mileage lower (70-80) during these weeks. That scares me a little bit, I guess, just because I want to make sure I can transition from this to Grandma’s marathon training – but I know it’ll be fine. I’m feeling strong & handling volume well, and noticed this last week that I’m feeling faster & more fit. I wonder if that’s coincidental that I feel that way after having increased my mileage. I’m either a true mileage runner & running more means running faster, or I’ve just conditioned myself to believe that.

I printed off splits for my goal 5k, and my eyes bugged out a little: 5:33 pace/mile, 82 (high) quarters. Wow. That’s REALLY fast. For some reason I had 5:35-5:38 in my head before I looked at it again today. Even though it’s just a few seconds/mile faster, my brain still goes: really? Really?!?

After my last 5k on the 28th of April, I’ll transition into marathon-mode (don’t worry, I’ve been doing a few long/hard tempo runs so won’t be coming into the marathon cycle cold – and they’ve gone really well, all 5-10 secs/mile faster than this time of year last year). There are 6 or 7 weeks before Grandma’s. I don’t have the day-to-day plan for that yet, but I do know there will be a couple 100+ mile weeks in that. Yikes. (But another part of me says, “Yes! I can’t wait! I love mileage & beating my body”)

As I was reminded, those kind of miles require stretching my rest days. I have to be careful, since I know that’s one of the reasons behind my Achilles injury before the Trials. I noticed my Achilles for the first time on Sunday’s run (no pain, it just felt “different”) so took Monday off. I’ve been taking more time to stretch & do strength work since, as I had allowed myself to be lax with both for two long.

Well – just one short week until the first 5k. Gotta get to it!

P.S. The Museli recipe from this weekend (from allrecipes.com, edited a little). It's great with plain greek yogurt and a little sweetener/sugar! (It's my "substitute" for ice cream!)

Original Recipe Yield 8 cups
Ingredients
4 1/2 cups rolled oats (we used old fashioned slow-cook)
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup oat bran
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (I omitted)

Not in the original recipe but I added:
1/4 cup flax seed (we have a lot around the house for some reason, and thought it couldn't hurt)
1 cup instant oatmeal
And another big handful (or 3) of slow cook oats -- (I like museli with a lot more oatmeal)

Next time I might get ambitios and chop up some almonds for it (since I think whole almonds would be too large, but slivered might be a little weird?) - we'll see :)

I doubled this & made it in an ice cream pail. Works great!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/muesli/

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment