Restraint

I'm finally fired up about running, training, and reaching for goals again. My achilles feels great so far. Problem? I have to hold myself back and not get back into things too quickly.

But, the few days and miles I have done have been glorious, and I've been able to increase things at a pretty decent rate. First run last weeked was 2.25 miles, then 5 miles on Monday, then 7.5 miles Wednesday followed by 7 miles Thursday. I'm excited for the day I will not have to wonder how many miles I'm able (or allowed) to do, how many days in a row I can stretch my training to, etc.

I'm also excited for my "running muscles" to come back to life. My 7 miles Thursday was done faster than normal (running with someone), and I had to ask him to slow down (from sub 7's to 7:30). I can't remember the last time I've had to ask someone that, how embarassing!

Jerry's official plan, made shortly after the Trials started the week of Feb 20th (~70 miles/week, focusing on 5k/10k speed). I originally looked at that and was like, What? 1 month from the Trials? Seems so long! But turns out that I will needed the entire month - to heal physically, mentally, and to come back into mileage slow enough. Can you say genious?

I'm "allowed" to try 10 miles tomorrow and am so excited :). Hope for continued progress, health, and strength! Mesa will be SO happy! She's been a bit miserable lately with my lack of running :).

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

4 comments:

  1. So happy to see that your achilles is healing well and you're excited to get back out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Hailey! I think I needed an injury like this to force me to come back into things slowly & really appreciate it when I did. When is your ultra? How has training for it been going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ultra is March 10 - training has been ok - knock on wood. I did 27 on a treadmill yesterday so that has to count for something in being ready mentally, right? :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hailey, that is just sick!

    ReplyDelete