I love tapering :)

My legs are coming around at the exact right time. I am SOO lucky!!

Today's workout was just downright fun :). I joined the Carleton women for some tempo on the track - their workout was tempo miles, mine was 3x2 miles at tempo, with the rough goal for tempo at 5:50 (but main goal to go on feel). So, it was nice to weave in and out of each other's repeats -- taking some of the monotony out of the workout.

Because I was on a track, I tried to focus on my form, the way the pace felt, etc. in hopes to settle into a consistent tempo pace. It didn't come easy. The first mile I cruised through, not breathing, in 5:41. Next mile was just below 5:50. The Carleton women I was running with quickly decided to drop off from me (didn't help that I brought them through their first mile in sub 5:45 when their goal paces were 6:00 and 6:05... oops!!!).

The next reps were about the same -- miles ranging right around 5:48 or so. Some were faster (5:45), some slower (5:50), but the range wasn't big.

The best part? I wasn't hardly working. My strides felt light, powerful and effortless. I could just feel that I was fast :). Oh, how I LOVE this feeling!!! It also makes me excited to think that I could pull off a big PR next week :). Let's hope!

Aside: At this point in my Grandma's training, I was fighting what I think was heat exhaustion. I came back from a Monday run and felt sick and had the chills. My tempo paces dropped to 6:10s and slower during this same week back in June. My calves cramped up the Monday and Wednesday before the race. SOOO - note to self: I am carrying around a water bottle with me at ALL times between now and next Saturday. I can obviously improve on that taper experience a bit :). Just need to stay healthy as well!!!

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

2 comments:

  1. I just came upon your blog. Best wishes for the Trials...looks like you are coming along nicely. Maybe I will meet you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Nichole. I am very excited for you.

    Liz Crozier

    ReplyDelete