69th Place at the Olympic Trials!


Quick update: I had SUCH a fabulous experience in Houston this weekend. It was the experience of a lifetime, really -- from the Opening Ceremonies to the race itself (and evertything in between).

The race went really well. My legs didn't have their best day - I struggled to find a rhythm and to be able to move FAST enough (weird thing to say - but every mile I willed myself to bring down my pace a few seconds as I knew my lungs were feeling strong & my legs weren't tired enough -- but they just simply couldn't move any faster than they were). BUT, despite that, I was still able to finish with a new PR - 2:44:12 (2:44:06 chip).

I just KNOW that I was capable of a 2:40, or even sub-2:40, so I wish I could have had a great legs day where I had that unique-Nichole spring that makes for a "fun" and very fast race :). Oh well... maybe that means that I'll be scheming to continue this marathon journey in 2012 :). (But we'll let myself digest this race & most importantly, rest this achilles which is now three times the size of the healthy achilles... ug).

I am most proud of my finishing place & how I raced. I started out conservatively. I guess I didn't know how conservatively - I was in 4th to last at the 2 mile mark (glad no one told me that). But, I raced my own race & didn't allow the fast opening pace to get to me. From the 3 mile mark & on, I focused entirely on dropping my pace and picking people off. It was fun :)

With 10k to go, my husband told me I had moved up to 89th place (150+ raced/finished). Again, I willed my legs to move faster. I'm not hurting enough! But they just couldn't. Ug.

I was SO mentally tough during this race. Wow -- thank you, Dr. Asp :). I don't think there are too many women out there that can embrace pain & think as positively as I did on that course on Saturday.

I finished in 69th place. Pretty exciting to think that I'm one of the top 70 US women's marathoners :). I am very proud to have been here, to have raced my way to a fantastic place amongst the women competing -- and most impressed by the support that I had on the course and from people back home. THANK YOU to everyone who has sent me Good Luck messages, Congratulatory emails/texts, etc. I can't tell you how much your thoughts, support, and overall encouragement has helped me to get me where I am today -- and encouraged me to think bigger and set higher goals. Thank you especially to my family and friends down here (Team Nichole!), to Jerry for believing in me a year and a half ago when I came to him injured, unsure of myself, and slow, and RWSC for their support throughout the journey. I honestly never thought I could get to this level, and I KNOW that I couldn't have done it without everyone's support.

I'll write much more later :)

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Nicole, great race. Great progress in the last two years.
    Pat Foley (former Nfld CC coach)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Nichole! We are so proud of you here at Just Food Co-op!

    ReplyDelete