Reminders

Yesterday's speed workout (3x1 mile tempo, 3x1000, 3x400) reminded me that:

1. I am still very fit & fast. I was beginning to wonder! I honestly do not "feel" that way (vs. how I felt for Grandma's cycle at this time). Tempo miles were clicking off in sub 5:50s, which is great.
2. I NEED to be diligent about drinking water and making sure I'm taking my multi-vitamin/iron (or just fueling myself with the right things). I also need to be sleeping more. Why, you ask? After the tempo miles, I started to unwind & my 1000s were pretty slow. Weird thing was, I couldn't do anything about it. I willed myself to turn my legs over faster, but they couldn't respond. Sort of an out of body experience, actually... didn't help that I'm really exhausted mentally & so I couldn't quite process thoughts normally. I'm attributing this to not drinking much during the week, mostly. Maybe lack of sleep as well? At least I couldn't think of anything else that would cause such a weird slow-down?
3. Also need to work on my speed. Granted, by the time I got to the 400s, there wasn't anything left, so it wasn't the best workout to judge, but I know that I don't have the ability to change pace right now. Need to work on that. Striders, perhaps?
4. I need to stay away from all of this holiday junk food sitting around! Ug, I am so bad at saying no... (my boss caught me sneaking a chocolate piece today at work & yelled at me. Pretty sure I blushed big time, like a guilty child :))
5. Also need to start visualizing the race. The injury hasn't done wonders for my confidence; I need to work to regain that. I know the next few hard workouts should do that for me, helping me to realize how much stronger & more fit I am than even before Grandma's (because, honestly, Nichole, you didn't get fat & slow cross training 10-12 hours a week those 3 weeks!). also, I appreciated that for Grandma's I had a very defined goal & it was very much "do or die". I have to find something inside of me that motivates me like that did (goal before injury was proving to myself that I could compete at this level, placing as high as possible) - I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around that now (or WANTING that really bad). Does that make sense?

Still 3 weeks to go -- good thing, I have some work to do :).

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment