How far is too far?

How hard can you push coming back? I hate the guessing game coming back from an injury. Big time.

The Achilles has healed impressively well this last week, which allowed for a great training week (considering just 2 weeks ago I was pretty much sidelined to the bike/elliptical). I was able to log 60 (!!) miles, with one run of 20 miles and one of 16. Not bad at all! And I still have 4 weeks to go to build fitness, get that "long run strength" back, and in general build my confidence up.

The question becomes, where is that line? How many days in a row can I run before I should take a cross training day? This week I went from being estatic about running 2 days in a row to now stringing 4 days back to back. It's a little tight every run (vs. when I take a day of cross training it isn't tight at all the next day), definitely looks puffier than the healthy side -- obviously that means it's not 100%. The plan for today and tomorrow was a double (my first!) and a tempo/1000m workout tomorrow. On my run over noon today, I contemplated that. The hard workout falls on the 5th day of running in a row, after my first double... is that too much? Should the Achilles not be sore before starting my first full-length hard workout?

Argh. So many questions. Glad to have Jerry to throw stuff like this at & have him create the path forward.

On another note, we're withing 4 weeks! Yikes!! My husband reminded me that I need to declare my fluids by Wednesday this week. Hope I'm on top of all of the other logistics/entry stuff/etc...

Cool Olympic Trials preview - thanks for the shout out, Chad! Hope I can continue that "remarkable improvement" with another big PR!!!
http://cnaustin.blogspot.com/2011/12/olympic-trials-marathon-preview.html

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment