Getting stronger

I can feel my legs/body adapting to my current mileage & training regimen - yeah!

It took longer than I would have thought to get back into the routine of daily mileage, not exactly sure why. Perhaps I was overly optimistic about my ability to get back into it. [I was running ~80-85/week for Grandma’s, it shouldn’t be a problem to jump back into that type of mileage!][This is why I hurt myself when I’m not working with a coach!]

Whatever it was, I think I’ve turned a corner. I now feel like I did in training before Grandma’s – where I can do a double of 14 (4 am, 10 pm) and my legs aren’t phased at all by it. I can’t accurately describe the feeling in words: it’s as if your legs are now strong enough and miles just click by. There’s not the extreme quad soreness I had for a few weeks, where no matter what I did or what the workout, I begged for a quad massage before bed. Again, it’s probably just my body adapting to the stress I’m putting on it: this is the 5th week under Jerry’s daily plan, and weekly mileage has been: 70 (on 6 days), 75 (on 7 days), 80 (on 6 days), 75 (on 7), and this week of 75 on 7 days.

I’m not completely “out of the woods” yet, my legs don’t have that fun “spring” in them when I know they’re a little rested and fast. But at least I’m no longer beat-up/fatigued…

Which would mean that it’d be natural to move me to another phase in training, right?

Daniels’ 18 week “Elite” schedule begins next week. :)

[Does Jerry just KNOW that it would take this long to acclimate to mileage? I often marvel at how perfectly timed the change in phases/mileage peaks and valleys are]

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nichole,

    I've been following your blog and see that you use the Daniels running formula. I am considering switching to that program and was wondering if I could ask you some questions and get your thoughts on it. If you don't mind, my email is merlo_michelle@hotmail.com.

    Thanks!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete