Game On - 6x1000m

During my very slow COLL performance, I had time to think about why I wasn't performing as I had hoped. One of the things I decided was that from that day on, I needed to make the most out of each and every hard workout in my training schedule.

Since Grandma's, Jerry has had me putting in great base mileage, with a little VO2 max work thrown in. It's not that I haven't given it my all in each of those track sessions. I have. It's just that I need to make SURE that I am working as hard as I absolutely can. Digging harder than I have before, running as smoothly & strong as possible. I have 18 weeks until the Trials. In some ways, that's a long time from now (4.5 months!) -- but in another, I know weeks FLY by, and 18 seems like such a small number...

So for today's track workout, I did 3 1000m repeats by myself back & forth along a flat stretch of Red Wing over the lunch hour. First one: 3:34. My legs couldn't move. I told myself that didn't matter. I know I can be stronger than this. #2: 3:23 (perfect! Right on pace!). #3: 3:19 (a little downhill?). Nice!

I jogged back over to the YMCA, as I knew the lunch time runners would be gathering. My hope was that they could help with the last 3 repeats.

They are the best. No question about it, they all jogged to the start with me. Some just jog back and forth, others start before me & allow me to chase them, others line up along the course & join me as I catch up. How cool is that?

#4 was 3:20. YES -- that's the fast range I'd like to be hitting for these. My legs are feeling it at this point. #5 was 3:15. I was elated. This is the fastest I've ever done a 1000m repeat! I didn't allow much rest for #6, and felt it: 3:26.

What a fabulous workout. My lungs burned and I can truly say I gave it everything I had - success! A huge THANK YOU to the YMCA group for your help in making that happen, I am so appreciative of and humbled by the help. This journey would not be nearly as much fun without the awesome support crew(s) I have :).

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment