Challenging Week

Wow... less than 1 week to go.

The last week has been a little challenging, I think because of the heat. Rewind to last Saturday: we did a 1/2 marathon at MP effort. Luckily we started at 6:30, because by the last few miles, it was already getting uncomfortably warm. I felt good on the run, and finished in 1:22.10. That's proabably a little faster than I hope to go through the 1/2 at Grandma's, but the pace (6:16s) felt pretty effortless.

Sunday we did a medium length run in the Carleton arb. I've really started to enjoy running there. It was a nice place to excape to on Sunday because it was another really hot day.

Then Monday. I did just 5 miles, but did it in about 90 degree temps. I remember finishing the run and being pretty wet -- that never happens (I don't sweat much). I felt sick the rest of the day, getting chills randomly and just not feeling right. I hadn't realized that I had not been drinking a ton over the weekend or Monday before the run. Dumb.

The rest of the week has not been great :(. I'm not sure if it was heat, or I was coming down with something & running simply made it worse, but my workouts suffered. I took Tuesday off (high of 104, gross!), and Wednesday tried to do a tempo workout. I struggled to hit 6:10s. Not good. My legs felt dead and had no spring or strength in them. I decided not to do the second set of tempo work, figuring that I was probably just digging myself into a hole by trying to run hard. The easy run back in wasn't very pretty, either -- I checked the watch afterwards and found some of the miles were at 9 minute pace. That's when you know something isn't right.

I took Thursday off, as planned, and Friday went out for another tempo run. 2x12 minutes, and averaged 5:55-6:00. That's about where I should be. I didn't feel like I could have brought it down to 5:40-5:45 like I was able to a few weeks ago, but at least it wasn't as bad as Wednesday.

Today's run was better as well. 90 minutes, and covered 11.75 miles. I told Nate on the run that I felt like my "spring" was coming back -- only about 5-10% back, but coming back nonetheless. If I can have 100% of that "spring" and strength back in my stride for Saturday, it's going to be a very good day... so seeing it start to come back is fun :).

So, minor set back earlier in the week, but I still have plenty of time to recover & get back to where I was. I'm not too worried about it. If nothing else, it was good -- to remind myself that I need to be drinking a lot more, washing my hands a TON (I do NOT want to get sick!!!), sleeping more, etc.

Crazy no carb/carb diet starts tomorrow... not looking forward to it :(.

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment