8x6 minutes, 30 seconds rest

I knew I needed to nail it. The last two weeks have been peppered with rough tempo workouts, stopping-midway, etc.

I also knew that I was unlikely to be able to do this myself. So, I called up the GAC assistant coach, Brenden, and asked if he'd be up for it. No hesitation. He was. Gotta love this guy, he's always game.

We did a 2.5 mile warm-up together, and I told him about the workout. He knew it was something like 8x6 (we had done 6x6 minutes a few weeks ago together), but bawked at the fact that there was only 30 seconds of rest in between each one :). Ha. Gotta love these long, sustained, little rest workouts :).

I told him before that I'd been having a harder time with this pace lately, and if I was having trouble, we could shorten the reps to 5 minutes each or lengthen the recovery to 1 minute.

We were off. The first three were into the wind, and more uphill. 6:07s for those. Not bad, considering the rain, wind, and incline! I purposely didn't look at the pace on my watch much -- tried to go by "effort". At 3, we turned back. Now we were around 6:02s, which considering we were going downhill, with the wind, was actually probably slower than the first three, but I didn't worry about it. I gave myself the option to take a longer rest or shorten the reps during reps 4-8. Do I need the extra 30 secs rest? Do I need to stop earlier? The answer was always "no". I can do this!

And I did!! What a fabulous workout & confidence booster. This isn't an easy workout, so it shows how strong I've become.

Next up: Gustavus Alumni 5k on Saturday. Hoping for good weather (there's a stadium record I'd love to chase down!!), but know there's less than a very slim chance of it... it's ALWAYS windy, rainy, snowy for their home meets :(. You think I'm kidding? I'm not :)

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment