17:52 - 2nd Place

Another indoor personal best!

To be honest, I was really hoping for something in the 40s, (I think when I set out goals a few months ago, I was hoping to be around 17:45 by this point in time). But, it wasn't a bad race by any means (very tactful, a lot of women vying for those top couple spots), and it's a 13 second PR on the indoor track for me.

Today wasn't one of those "amazing race" days for me, not like the 3k was last month. Those days, I have a very consistent rhythm, my lap splits are identical without trying, the race is fairly effortless until the end, and I can really put the hammer down at the end. I didn't have any of that today.

But, still a solid showing. I can't complain. I fought for my 2nd place finish; I covered all but one of the moves the women around me made (the one that cost me the win!). But, I still think I had a lot more left.

I just wasn't prepared to race "all-out". I don't know why. I think some of my marathon training teaches me to go long (i.e. Wednesday's workout: 30 min MP, 5 min tempo, 25 min MP, 5 min tempo, 5 min MP), and teaches you to conserve some energy for the next "interval" in your training. I need to learn how to lay it all out there for a shorter race. How do you switch gears like that? As always, a great lesson to learn now, and to practice and visualize about going forward!

I should be extatic about a large PR, but I KNOW I can do better than this. Guess that's a good thing -- it'll fire me up for the next training run and the next race. Bring it on! :)

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment