A TRAINING PARTNER!

I am SOOO excited. Unbelievably excited, actually. Although I've done well the last 7-8 months, training alone because I haven't been able to find anyone my speed within a reasonable driving distance, it gets REALLY old. Plus, I know I can push myself harder if I'm chasing someone or being chased.

[Aside on running in Red Wing: I loved the town, don't get me wrong, but there honestly was no one that even ran 8 minute mile pace (which isn't even fast!). I tried running a long run with a group one Sunday, specifically meeting a faster woman who was going 12 miles. We started out at 8 minute pace, but for the last 3 miles, we went between 10-12 minute mile pace, going slower each mile. I completely killed her. I felt SOO bad! She thought she was an 8/mile person, but obviously wasn't. She hasn't called me to meet up for a run since :)]

Anyway, back on topic. A while ago Jerry, my coach, was at a meet and he ran into the Carleton head coach. They talked about Carleton's top women's runner, and commented on how she didn't have anyone to train with. Jerry suggested that I might be able to help out.

WELL, I started the conversations in earnest after the move, and it looks like I'll be able to! Hopefully I can run with her twice a week (maybe more often, if we work well together and it works with our schedules). Need the boss' approval on leaving early once a week (hope, hope, HOPE he says I can!)...

She's very, very fast. 10:07 3k fast. Remember when I was pumped about my 10:23? :) So, she has a lot more foot speed than me. That's a good thing, I can use help there. I (per the coach) have more stamina/threshold strength (our threshold speeds are the same), so I think we'll actually make great training partners.

In addition, the assistant coach, a 2005 Carleton grad, might run with me once a week as well. So, I may go from training completely alone to meeting with someone 2-3 times a week. How absolutely wonderful!

Can I say it again, YEAH!!!

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment