Low on Motivation

Ugh.

I've been trying to find excuses not to run lately. Good thing I have a good support system (aka my husband, who was the reason I started a treadmill run tonight).

I'm not sure why. Probably because I feel a little overloaded, with work, the move, and trying to log a lot of training hours. Could also be the weather... I usually try to run over lunch, but if I can't (which has been often lately, way too busy at work), I find it really hard to motivate myself when it's cold, dark, and snowy :(. Could just be that I'm going through a slump. Deep down, I know my marathon isn't for another 6 months... I thought about that tonight, and said to myself, one day in December won't matter at all, right? What'll really count is the 3 months up before the marathon. [That's when I told my husband I wasn't running tonight, and he said, "Really? Would you be happy with that decision later?". Argh. You're right, I wouldn't be.... so I trudged down to the treadmill]

The good news? I've been able to get myself out... even if takes a lot of coaxing. IF I can get myself out for my long run tomorrow, I'll have 68 miles this week. Guess that's not bad, considering the goal was 70 this week. I got in two of my 3 quality sessions, and am hoping tomorrow to incorporate the 3rd into the long run.

I will admit, though... I skipped all of my strength sessions this week :(. Chrissy (and Wilie!), feel free to yell at me. I deserve it.

So, overall, not bad, I just hope I hit a stretch where I'm super motivated again. I never know how to get over stretches like this (well, in the past, I simply just didn't run... hence why last winter my training log looked like 60-30-40-70-20-etc). Any ideas?

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

1 comment:

  1. Nichole - I'm finally catching on reading this blog after labor & delivery and just read that you are lacking some motivation (and missed your strength training sessions) for this week. I'm not going to yell at you. :) Maybe you need just a little mental break & you have a lot on your break. Don't feel guilty about this week, just move on & aim to complete these sessions this week. You can do it - sometimes it helps me if I take a look back at old journals, or log books, or photos & results from past races to get me back into it. You have a big goal Nichole, I know you can do it. All of the little things help get you to the big things...Carrie Tollefson used to tell me something along those lines when I was in College. Keep after it Nichole!
    Hugs,
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete