Sometimes I wonder...

... if I really want to chase after a fast marathon goal :(

Today's run was really, really difficult for me. I've been running with my cousin this week who is vacationing close to where I work. It's wonderful! Today I had 13 miles on my training plan, so we decided to do the first 3 together, he'd wait for me while I did another 3 warm up and the start of the marathon pace running.

I thought my legs felt OK until the marathon pace running. UGGG. I felt awful, and I was mentally SOO weak. I don't have these days very often, but when I do -- they really make me question why I do what I do. I took the 6 miles at marathon pace in 2 mile increments. It was all I could mentally take. I met my cousin at the 4 mile mark (now at 10 total) and then struggled through the last two, following him. I was SO glad to have someone there pushing me. I honestly think I would have stopped at 3 or 4 miles of MP without him there. It still wasn't a good workout by any means, but I finished it, which is an accomplishment in itself.

I think part of today's struggle was the fact that I haven't been sleeping enough or well. I also need to drink more water -- I know I'm dehydrated, since the last two runs I've gotten the chills afterwards. If I'm going to chase after a fast TCM time, I need to do all the little things right as well :(.

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment