Wonder what life would be like...

if I didn't spend as much time as I do on running and skiing. This week has been really nice -- taking the first half of the week off and then running whenever I felt like it/however far I felt like during the 2nd half. It's great! I actually have time to run errands and clean the house. By the end of this week I might actually have a good jump start on the ever-growing to-do list on my kitchen door. How exciting.

I wondered today how different my life would be if I didn't have running and skiing. Or even if I didn't train 1/2 as often as I do. I'd probably have one of the best looking lawns on the block. And probably the world's best vegetable garden in my backyard. Wouldn't that be great? I could start building something, or start a large scale project on the house. Heck, I don't even need to do something large-scale: I'd take pride in just having a decent looking house at the end of the week. I can never seem to keep up during the week. I'd probably sign up to volunteer more often: perhaps at church, maybe at a camp, maybe coaching young kids. That might be sort of fun!

Is all the time I pour into running worth it? Especially when you put so many other things on the back burner? I think so. A lot of other people think I'm crazy, but it's really fulfilling for me. It's fun to see where your limits are. It's also fun once you're finally in shape: nothing beats that "I'm strong/fit/in shape" feeling during a run or a race. Taking this week easy has helped me to re-realize all of this.

Although... it would be really fun to have a wonderful vegetable garden...

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment