Great weekend!

Gotta love long weekends -- especially long weekends where the weather is as nice as it was! :)

My goal was to do 2 workouts a day Fri, Sat, Sun, and Monday. I want to start back into the running, but also try to rollerski a little (I feel so behind!). Goal almost accomplished, and in total I logged about 6.5 hours worth of training.

Here's a few highlights:

Saturday we went out for a long ski, my first long ski of the season. I hadn't been on rollerskis in a while, so I felt really tippy. I hate that feeling! I did a 1.5 hour skate ski, going nice and easy, concentrating mostly on balance. Toward the end of the ski I was feeling better, but it's still always a humbling experience :). After the ski I changed and went out for a 5 mile run. Total workout for the day was 2:20.

Monday I drove out to Afton State park to preview the Afton Trail Run course. I wasn't prepared at all!! I'm signed up for the 25K race on July 4th -- my first trail race. I looked at the time for the winning woman from last year: 8:20 mile pace. I thought that was slow, but had no idea... now I know why! Nate and I ran 10 miles of the course, and I was absolutely dead. One of the hardest runs I've done in a while! :) I decided that I need to 1) do some leg strengthening exercises each week and 2) need to get out to Afton at least 2-3 more times before the race to run the course. I haven't been so intimidated by an upcoming event before!!! :)
After the run I also did a 35 minute classic ski. Ug! I can't stride to save my life. I am SOO worried about that first Vakava classic workout (whenever that will be)...

So, overall a great weekend. It was a great way to start back into my training again! Can't wait to continue trying to put in a lot of hours on foot/skis this upcoming week!!

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment