Spring - Finally!!

There is nothing better than the first few runs in good weather!! It even makes hard workouts seem that much easier :)

I'm at the 3.5 weeks until race day mark, which is both exciting and scary :). Fargo is still under water, which concerns me a little bit... will the river receed enough in the next 3 weeks??

I'm excited for this Saturday. I'm running in the Earth Day 20 mile race in St. Cloud. It should be a really good test of my fitness -- I haven't quite decided what my strategy will be (how many miles at marathon pace should I do?), and I don't know if I'll have one... sometimes it's best just to race without a plan, listening to your body and responding to competition. I'd like to take it out a little easier, picking it up to marathon pace somewhere around the 5-6 mile mark. That'd give me 14-15 miles at marathon pace, which would be a really good, grueling workout. I guess my ony real "strategy" for the race is to make sure I have something left at the end so I can practice finishing strong. No more of this "survival" running like I did at the end of Houston!! It'd be fun to be in the top 3 as well, but we'll see who shows up on race day.

The race will also give me the chance to practice with gels, water stops, breakfast, etc. I don't think I did a good job of that at Houston -- I was pretty dizzy (low sugar?) at the end, and I know I was dehydrated.

Hopefully my legs taper up well the last part of this week. I've been going pretty hard lately (84 miles last week!!!), and they're just a little more sluggish. I did a 1200 meter VO2 max workout last evening, and even though my legs didn't feel "fast", I was able to hit them at: 4:10, 4:11, 4:08, 4:01 (it's downhill). I was surprised. So even though I'm tired, I think my legs are strong and getting faster. Add a little bit of taper in there, and let's hope it equates to a good race!

Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

1 comment:

  1. What are the chances I will be able to keep up with you for 13 miles of your 20 mile race on Saturday? :)

    ReplyDelete