April Snow Showers




Last week was a big week for me -- I hit 69 miles, which is the most that I've ever logged. I had hit 64 for Houston, and was around 65 in my peak weeks in college. This week I'm planning to hit 77-80, wish me luck!




I can tell the mileage is making me stronger. I also feel a big difference in my ability to hit my marathon pace without too much effort. This Sunday's long run was a great example of that. I woke up early and put in 6 miles before my training partner met me at my house. She had 16 on her plan, I had 22. The first 6 miles were pretty miserable -- high winds, big, wet snow, thick slush on the bike paths. I picked her up (along with my husband) and we ventured off. The next 16 went really smoothly, all things considered. We hit a minor diversion when we found that one of our paths was completely covered in water (running water, at that!). So, we just ran along an on-ramp until we found a fence we could hop... which for me is easier said than done :). I ended up snagging my tights. Big bummer. Hopefully I can fix them?? (I'm not the best seamstress)


Nate left my Jenny and I around 5 miles to go. We continued on to a loop by my house (I wasn't sure if I could keep up at the end since she wanted to pick it up the last 2-3 miles, and I didn't want her to get lost). Our 4th to last mile was in 7:22 (I could tell she was getting excited to pick it up! I was getting nervous, since that pace takes a bit of effort for me). We then "officially" tried to pick it up. I was amazed that I was able to lead the pick-up, and without much effort! It was SO much easier than the 7:22 mile. I was able to do all 3 with her, in 6:47, 6:51, 6:55 (hill at end). And the exciting part was that I felt smooth, strong, and (fairly) comfortable. Not bad for the end of a 22 miler!!






Now, on to the challenge of trying to fit an 80 mile week into a holiday week...



Nichole Porath

Nichole is a blogger, elite level runner, and coach. She ran professionally for Brooks for two years after qualifying for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials. During that time she founded TNC endurance, where she coaches and motivationally speaks to organizations large and small. This blog details her rise to national-level racing, and continues to follow her as she gets back into racing after starting a family. Read on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment